9/29/14, Day 14,027 (Mercena Day 45): KD and The Lab; or, Better Baths
Yesterday I returned to work and had my first Mission to (dit)Mars’ Propulsion Lab meeting afterwards, so I missed all but the book ends of Mercena’s day. Thankfully, Heather kept me supplied with some choices pics, like the one above, and it seems she had a great first half of the day before descending into some Old School Fussiness during the Witching Hour.
She did, however, take a big step forward in her flailing abhorrence of baths. According to Heather, she made it 2/3rd of the way through without a breakdown; no small feat for a baby who began hurling Wail Daggers at our ears as soon as the water touched her.
We’ve taken to having me do the comida de madrugada to give Heather a little more consecutive sleep, and it serves as the perfect alarm clock for me. It’s not as much time as I’d like, but it does feel like the golden thread of our relationship that began on my paternity leave is not being broken, and that means everything.
The Propulsion Lab was positive; it was great to hear the first section of KD and The Band all in one go. It might tighten up a little, but otherwise feels solid. I enjoyed the pages shared by Lisa Huberman and Jonathan Alexandratos, and was particularly excited to hear the responses of playwrights I’ve long admired, like Mac Rogers and Enrique Urueta, and playwrights whose work I’m eager to know better, like Tori Keenan-Zelt and Elizabeth Seldin
Technique never stands still: it only advances or retreats…
Writing: 152 out of 195 days
Spanish: 132 out of 195 days
Music: 56 out of 101 days
What small things did I do yesterday to help build the Honeycomb?
(And what does it mean to “Help build the honeycomb?”)
- Ate and cooked local, organic, vegetarian food, and used cloth diapers for Mercena;
- Asked Amazon’s Founder and CEO Jeff Bezos to commit to renewable energy and be transparent about their energy usage;
- Asking my congress-peeps to roll back federal mandatory minimum sentencing laws by passing the Smarter Sentencing Act before the end of this year;
- Signed my support to the EPA’s proposal to regulate carbon emissions from power plants;
- Joined the 7 in 10 campaign to support reproductive freedom for women.